I love October. It’s always been my favorite month. I grew up in upstate New York. October was always a month of perfect jacket weather, crunchy leaves painting a palette of Autumn across the sky, apple picking, cider doughnuts, and pumpkin everything.
In my later years I’ve developed an obsession with pies, but I only bake them during “pie season.” This is pie season! I bake sweet potato pies, pecan pies, pumpkin pies, apple pies, pot pies, and lots of autumn-harvest squash quiches. Holiday stress hasn’t yet begun, and there are fall festivals every weekend. With the grand finale on my favorite holiday Halloween, October is basically like all the best things in the world crammed into one glorious month.
And now I have yet another reason to rejoice for October.
Inspired by other bloggers in our Facebook support group, I have made the crazy decision to participate in Blogtober. I love the GIFs in that blog post by the way so you should totally click on that link and have a laugh!
But I will tell you here that Blogtober is simply a challenge to blog every single day during the month of October, kind of like NaNoWriMo is a challenge to writers to write 50,000 words during the month of November. The difference is our end goal is not to write a book.
I’m not gonna promise that my blog posts will be super long or super amazing, but they will happen! I was on the fence about whether or not to accept the challenge, but when I told my husband about it and he said, “that’s never gonna happen,” of course then I knew it would happened. My husband always knows the perfect things to say to get me to do something…
So besides proving a point to my husband, why Blogtober? Why should I blog every day for 31 days straight like a maniac? I have a few good reasons…
1. I have a “blogs to write” list a mile long, and 31 days will give me plenty of opportunity to chip away at the list. Some stories I know for sure I want to write…
-A collection of relationship advice from older couples who have made it through decades of marriage
– The epic story of how my husband and I met
– Our education system is broken
– How much I spent on my real estate career
– A new beginning will never set you free
– having kids close together
– SMART goals
… I know there are 31 days! But this list is just a teaser! I can’t give ALL my secrets away 😉
2. It is helping me connect with other professional bloggers, and grow professionally. Some other bloggers participating with me in this challenge are…
3. Blogtober is a challenge, and like all challenges, when I overcome it, I will have another feather in my cap, another bullet point on my résumé, and another reason to feel awesome about myself.
4. I’m not going to post fluff. I’ve seen a lot of Blogtober graphics on Pinterest with super fluffy ideas like “Fall bucket list, “an old photo of you,” “10 favorite foods.” Ha. I know y’all don’t care that much about me. In my opinion those prompts are not relevant content. In order to make Blogtober fun, I’m going to have to insist that it does not devolve into “I’m bored on Facebook” viral Q&A posts.
My posts will meet all our Gold Millennial criteria. They will be engaging, thoughtful, insightful, empowering, and uplifting.
Here’s to day 1! Here’s to Blogtober!